Wednesday 8 May 2013

Research for DVD Trailer

I began my research for my DVD trailer but looking at other DVD trailers already made and what they looked like to see if I could use any of the styles they take on myself.

I knew that my genre was that of science fiction and so began looking at trailers with this same theme. I first began looking at War of the Worlds, Avatar and Star Wars as these were what I looked at previously for ideas to do with the DVD label and the DVD cover.
I then looked generically at other other trailers to determine what other ideas I could implement.

When researching I was bearing in mind whether or not the trailer told the story of the film, so to make sure that the film was known and the basic story also known, so to make sense, and if they were in keeping with their labels and covers at all.
It is important the consumer knew the theme, story and genre all in a minute, and was eye catching enough to make them want to watch the rest of the film. The trailer I felt needed to contain a certain amount of suspense for this to happen.

I knew that I wanted the film to be aimed at a target audience of 15 years or above and so looked at films of a similar age, to see how scary, or graphic they were, as didn't want to be over this age group, but at the same time I wanted to keep it engaging enough so that other people of older age groups also were wanting to watch it. I felt it was important to make the trailer appealing to everyone.

I listened to the audio to see how that fitted in and  found that the majority of them had upbeat, fast music that fitted a genre of action, which in turn could also be linked to sci fi and also found that some had narration, which is something that I thought I could implement. I personally like the narration from the War of the Worlds trailer.
A lot of the trailers also had a dark feel to them which again was something that I thought appropriate to the style.

All the trailers also contained the title, shots of the main characters, and the makers of the film such as the studios, and many included a preview screen for the audience.

No comments:

Post a Comment